Need to talk?
We're here to listen
When you phone Breathing Space, your call will be answered by one of our specialist advisors. They come from a range of mental health, counselling and social work backgrounds.
We understand that you might feel nervous about picking up the phone and unsure about what to expect. Our advisors appreciate this and will give you the time, whether you want to talk or not.
The service is open when other support such as family, friends, or GPs may be unavailable. You can speak about what's on your mind or ask about helpful resources in your area. Find out more about what happens when you call us.
"I’m not sure why I’ve called"
Sometimes when people call, they're not sure why they're phoning. They just need some space to think about why they're feeling anxious.
It's always better to open up and speak about your anxieties or stresses sooner rather than later. Don't bottle things up and wait for the problems to get worse.
What happens when you call us?
Speak to us in confidence
- One of our specialist advisors will answer your call. You can ask to speak to a man or a woman.
- Our advisors are here to listen. You only need to talk when you are ready.
- We can offer advice and, if appropriate, let you know about help in your local area for more specific problems. You may wish to have a pen and paper handy in case the advisor gives you details of phone numbers or addresses.
- If your call lasts for a while that’s okay. Calls may be short or last a bit longer (up to an hour). The advisor will only bring your call to an end on feeling that you have talked through your concerns sufficiently. If you feel you would benefit from speaking more, please call again another time.
- Our hope is that when you phone Breathing Space you will feel listened to and respected no matter why you contact us. Always feel free to let us know the quality of the service you received. Your views are always welcome and encouraged.
If you're worried or down, pick up the phone. We're here to listen.