Need to talk?
We're here to listen
When you phone Breathing Space, your call will be answered by one of our specialist advisors. They come from a range of mental health, counselling and social work backgrounds.
We understand that you might feel nervous about picking up the phone and unsure about what to expect. Our advisors appreciate this and will give you the time, whether you want to talk or not.
The service is open when other support such as family, friends, or GPs may be unavailable. You can speak about what's on your mind or ask about helpful resources in your area. Find out more about what happens when you call us.
"I’m not sure why I’ve called"
Sometimes when people call, they're not sure why they're phoning. They just need some space to think about why they're feeling anxious.
It's always better to open up and speak about your anxieties or stresses sooner rather than later. Don't bottle things up and wait for the problems to get worse.
Speak to us in confidence
- One of our specialist advisors will answer your call. You can ask to speak to a man or a woman.
- Our advisors are here to listen. You only need to talk when you are ready.
- We can offer advice and, if appropriate, let you know about help in your local area for more specific problems. You may wish to have a pen and paper handy in case the advisor gives you details of phone numbers or addresses.
- If your call lasts for a while that’s okay. The advisor will only bring your call to an end on feeling that you have talked through your concerns sufficiently. If you feel you would benefit from speaking more, please call again another time.
- Our hope is that when you phone Breathing Space you will feel listened to and respected no matter why you contact us. Always feel free to let us know the quality of the service you received. Your views are always welcome and encouraged.
If you're worried or down, pick up the phone. We're here to listen.
Webchat lets you message our specialist advisors in real time, as an alternative to phoning us.
Webchat is available:
- Monday to Friday, 6.00pm to 2.00am
- Saturday and Sunday, 4.00pm to 12.00am
The webchat displays as a button, that now pops up in the bottom right corner of your screen on all pages, that says 'Available to chat'.
If the pop up button does not display, our advisors are unavailable at this time. If you need immediate support, the quickest way to get in touch is to phone 0800 83 85 87 to speak to an advisor.
Can I get support on webchat?
You can get support from our advisors on webchat just like you can on the phone.
Our webchat advisors are trained specialists, and they only speak to one person at a time.
Can I communicate with a real person?
You will always be communicating with a real person.
When will someone be able to talk to me?
If an advisor is available, we'll connect you straight away.
If all of our team are in conversations already, we'll send you a message and ask you to try again later.
It’s still okay to phone us even if you have already tried to webchat, whether you’ve spoken to someone already or not.
What should I do in a crisis or emergency?
If you need immediate help, speak to a Breathing Space advisor on 0800 83 85 87. It is open 24 hours at the weekends and from 6pm to 2am on weekdays (Mon-Thurs).
If you need emotional support outwith these hours, contact Samaritans on 116 123 (available 24 hours a day, seven days a week).
If you’re ill and it can’t wait until your GP surgery re-opens, call NHS 24 on 111. For an emergency ambulance dial 999.
Is webchat confidential?
Anything you discuss with us on webchat will be held in confidence and won't be shared inappropriately.